Behavioural detection is defined as the methodical, scientific and systematic appraisal of people’s behaviour when under stress in an environment through observation, assessment and decision -based operations.
It is regularly used throughout the UK by law enforcement agencies to identify potential threats from those with intent to self-harm, commit a criminal offence or a terrorist attack. Those with mal- intent are proven to display high levels of physical, psychological and involuntary reactions, particularly when exposed to additional stress factors such as the presence of a trigger – uniform, security, police or a security feature such as a camera or checks. POLARM Behavioural detection operators use their specialist skills to identify these behaviours and interdict appropriately.
The POLARM team is led by one of the founders in the UK market for Behavioural Detection who introduced the techniques to the police following the terrorist incidents back in 2005. It has been further developed and we are currently working with the Association of Behavioural Detection Officers (ABDO – www.associationofBDO.org) to create a standard for the UK.
In response to client demands over the past couple of years POLARM has worked with a certified independent body and developed a suite of training courses designed to enhance our Prevention Services and enable organisations to develop, where appropriate, improved in house capabilities to manage the risks from those with mal intent. These are:
- Behavioural Detection Operator (BDO) Level 2 course
- Behavioural Detection Awareness (BDA) Level 2 course
The BDO is an IQ Verify certification scheme which is externally certified by an independent third party certification body.
Close Combat Quarter Skills;
- Close Quarter Combat Skills IQ Customised Qualification Level 3 course
POLARM has gained valuable insight into the methodology and operational capabilities of protesting groups from our experience of assisting the removal of protesters from private land, public highways, trains or council owned locations.
With the increasing protest activity across the UK we’re aware companies are seeking support to understand the risk of protest activity as part of their business continuity/resilience planning.
POLARM consultancy is able to provide expert assistance by;
1. Education workshop/training in Protests
Dealing with Protest course - delivered by our partners Eclipse Strategic Security (ESS) - for Security Managers, Operations and Security personnel. The content can also be customised for Business Continuity/Risk Managers who need to consider the threat of protester activity as part of their role.
2. Vulnerability assessment
POLARM has designed an assessment methodology specifically designed to identify the potential vulnerabilities to protest activity which then, in consultation with an organisation, can be validated and prioritised in order to plan remediation and/or risk management.
- Understanding the Legal Framework
- Police Methodology, Liaison and Response
- Types of Protest and Actions
- Conflict Resolution in a Protest Situation
- Effective Security Personnel Responses to Protest Activities
- Putting theory into practice – scenarios, case studies and practical sessions
3. Training in Basic Protester Removal (BPR) techniques
POLARM is able to enhance the knowledge and skills of your existing security personnel to deal with basic protest activity through this one-day course.
4. Scenario Exercises – A one day exercise to include both a table top operational planning and preparation session as well as a series of practical exercises.
5. Conflict Management Training - A one day training course, with customised content to assist when conflict cannot be avoided.